Friday, September 2, 2016

Great blue lobelia, crazy cosmos & gigantic holy basil



It’s September, yay! Before I even knew the date, I could smell something slightly different in the air. A hint of freshness. A tiny preview of fall, complete with dried up sycamore leaves scattered in the yard. It makes me rise up out of my summertime sluggishness. I notice the great blue lobelia blooming and my energy level rises. 
Great blue lobelia, a late summer beauty


So much gets away from me in July and August that now starts the catch-up, and I’m not even talking about all the work ahead of me with the preserving, prepping and winterizing. Right now I’m only talking about the flowers and herbs, after a summer of nature running free in this muggy, lush hollow. That, and my mistakes such as planting cosmos in a raised bed full of compost. They grew crazy, like Jack’s beanstalk. Eight foot plants covered with its pretty, fern-like foliage but not a blossom in sight. Never even got a single bud. Fluffy little trees. 
Crazy 8-ft. cosmos with no flowers


And then there’s holy basil (Ocimum tenuiflorum), an innocent looking little plant in a 3-inch pot on Mother’s Day that ended up a 5-foot wide mound just two months later! A huge bugger, smothered my creeping thyme, my precious mother of thyme.
One holy basil plant took over 25 square feet!


It is lovely, though, isn’t it? And in its defense, here’s some info about holy basil, or tulsi: It is an adaptogen in Ayurvedic medicine, used most often for treating stress. It originates in the tropics of Southeast Asia and is considered holy by the Hindus. That’s where the name holy basil came from. It is also edible, having a strong anise flavor similar to other basils (early in the season), and makes a nice tea. I dry it for a winter tea that helps counter the effects of seasonal affective disorder. I’ve read that it self-sows easily so I will never have to buy it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment